U.S. Postal Service ranked tops (yes, you read that right)

At the end of a dismal year for the U.S. Postal Service, let’s end on an upbeat note: For all its problems, the nation’s mail carrier is the best-performing among those of major industrialized countries.

That’s the judgment of Oxford Strategic Consulting, a British firm that recently took a look at the operations of 19 national posts, including those of Great Britain, China, India and Japan. When it came to delivering letters and other mail, the U.S. Postal Service averaged almost 269,000 pieces per delivery employee last year, far ahead of runner-up Australia Post, where the average was about 167,000 pieces, the Oxford study found.

The Postal Service didn’t fare as well on package delivery, placing only sixth in the number of parcels per delivery employee among the 19 nations. Overall, however, it was ranked as the top performer, based on a matrix of three broad yardsticks: Provision of access to vital services, operational resource efficiency, and performance and public trust.

USPS officials are “pleased,” Giselle Valera, the agency’s vice president for global business, said in a statement.  “Our employees take great pride in working hard every day on goals that lead to operational efficiencies and garnering the faith of the American people in the United States Postal Service.”

The full study is not yet available online, although Oxford provided the executive summary to Federal Times. Here, however, is a link to the press release summarizing some of the findings.

Tags: ,

Comments

1. blockpusher Says:
    January 1st, 2012 at 7:48 am

Obviously NOT a Republican survey. They have us the most hated part of the US Government (even lower than the IRS) , finances in the toilet and going down fast…………….

2. Bob Bender Says:
    January 2nd, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Just read a new ebook that I got on Amazon.com. It is called THE ROUTE. It hit the nail right on the head for all postal workers not just carriers. The author had a very interesting life so like he said that kept him from Going Postal. I love my Nook but I guess you can read this book on Kindle or even or own PC or Ipad. Check it out THE ROUTE by a guy named Orsini. Go Giants!!!

3. Lori W Says:
    January 2nd, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Bob,

I read THE ROUTE, very nice read, very funny but very true. I was surprised it was not all postal but then again, Iguess that would be boring if it was. Nice mix. Sure you love your nook but I need to get one so I downloaded the free ebook reader at barnes and Noble.com and read it here on my laptop. Giants? yeah right!!

4. Bob Says:
    January 2nd, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Lori, I told you that you would enjoying reading THE ROUTE. I read a lot of ebook from Amazon.com but that onehad to hve been the best. Had a nice mix and an easy read. Thats what the PMG needs, is an easy read since he can not understand the basics.

5. Peter Says:
    January 2nd, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I hope there will be a movie……….love popcorn. Nothing better then a good story and popcorn. I read the route, now all we need is the good popcorn

6. John Says:
    January 3rd, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Nothing like a bunch of paper work to prove a predetermined end. Been in third world countries, horrible. I would not consider China or India ‘developed’ countries, maybe ‘developing’ countries. Why is this professor comparing apples and oranges? Give me a financial report on your findings. Cost per piece of mail delivered including individuals benefits factored in, city verses rural delivery in miles per piece delivered, number of days per week of delivery service, business verses residential delivery services per piece etc. I can, by expanding or contracting a graph, make it prove anything I set out to prove. If the Postal Service is so effiecient, then why are they steadly sinking into the deep blue sea?

7. Walter Hamilton Says:
    January 3rd, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Delivery to all business every day.
    Residential delivery every other day including SUNDAYS
    Carriers on a four day wek (9 1/2 hours a day.)
    This might cut your work force.

8. Charles Says:
    January 3rd, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Thank You USPS Carries. Scan your Scan Points Everyday or you will be Berated. Must be tough to sit at a desk all day doing nothing, checking E bay and Sports Scores. Then make sure all the Hard working Carriers, scaned all thier scan points. Whew what a ruff day checking up on the carriers. My Finger tips a sore from playing on a computer all day.

9. Michael Fitzgerald Says:
    January 4th, 2012 at 10:19 am

I never appreciated the US Postal Service until I left California to move to Mexico (Puerto Vallarta). The Federal Postal Service here in Mexico is terrible! Everyone is afraid to put anything into the mail here because, if it gets to its destination at all, it is weeks if not months late. And, one NEVER, NEVER puts anything of value into the mail here, because the Federal Postal Service in Mexico is rife with corruption. If someone sees somthing they want, they just take it. Appreciate your Postal Service, America! You don’t know what you’ve got ’till it’s gone!

10. Kezzy Says:
    January 5th, 2012 at 4:34 pm

If you still have a mailbox then you aren’t all that unhappy.
    If you don’t have one, then you and the tree-huggers have something in common.

I’ve been to other countries (including England) so I didn’t need an official report to tell me who was the best.

Everyone’s house could be in better order. Give the PO a chance to re-org and adjust to the big puppy on the block. There are millions of people in this country who do need and expect good postal services.

11. Andrea Rouda Says:
    January 6th, 2012 at 9:08 am

Here’s just one example of why the USPS should be shut down!

12. Portland Marches To Save The Postal Service « What They're Feeding Me Says:
    January 9th, 2012 at 7:20 am

[...] Prince, second-generation letter carrier, said a recent Oxford study of the Planet Earth rated the US Postal Service number one in the world. “Who would wanna [...]