Romney: Cut federal workforce by 10 percent

(Darren McCollester, Getty Images)

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney today called for cutting the federal workforce by 10 percent as part of his plan to reduce the federal deficit.

Romney said the reduction of roughly 210,000 federal employees through attrition would save about $4 billion. Under Romney’s plan, agencies would only be able to hire one new employee for every two who leave. That’s less strict than the workforce reduction bill the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee approved yesterday, which would only allow one new employee for every three who leave.

Romney also called for cutting federal employee compensation to bring it in line with the private sector, which he said would save $47 billion. He said federal compensation is 30 to 40 percent higher than private-sector compensation when benefits are factored in. “This must be corrected,” he said. The federal government, on the other hand, today said that federal salaries fell further behind private-sector salaries this year, largely due to the pay freeze.

“The American people are increasingly working to support the government,” Romney said, according to the Washington Post. “It ought to be the other way around.”

Tags: , ,

Comments

1. Shoop Says:
    November 5th, 2011 at 2:25 pm

They need to cut him from government.

2. Dzippy Says:
    November 7th, 2011 at 4:57 am

Nice mansion Mitt. You need more I guess. Yahoo posted a picture of just 1 and Im overpaid. Thankfully Occupy Wall St and others are putting the heat on you and rest of the rich who think the US is just a nice playground of low taxes and entitlement for you and the rest of the plutocracy. Frankly anyone as wealthy as you has no business being in government. Get lost soon. Please.

3. Dzippy Says:
    November 7th, 2011 at 5:16 am

Nice link to the latest crop of FED HATER’s wonderful digs. I love the garbage they put out about people being over paid. Very very funny. The harrasser at large Cain is included. Enjoy the show of wealth from the Republican hypocrites!

4. Glenn Says:
    November 7th, 2011 at 6:25 am

I have no idea where Mr.. Romney derives his information indicating that federal compensation is 30 to 40% higher than the private sector.
    I’m one of those “well paid” feds with salary and benefits approaching $150K per year. This puts me nearly at the top of the federal pay scale.
    I routinely receive offers from the private sector with total compensation exceeding this by at least 10% and in some cases 33%. If I didn’t like what I was doing so much, I would take one of these offers as they all originate from reputable private firms with proven track records for performance. I still might, if our leadership continues to bash federal employees.

5. MacDoc Says:
    November 7th, 2011 at 10:55 am

All this Hot Air coming from a Multimillionaire! He probable doesn’t even remember what’ it’s like to work for a living, if he ever did?

6. Mike D Says:
    November 7th, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Has anyone else noticed that a lot of these “studies” claiming that feds are overpaid include compensation based on holiday and annual/sick leave days (which they multiply by the hourly wage to come up with a dollar figure that can be tacked onto the value of fed benefits)?
    By my quick estimation, this adds between 5 – 10k to federal benefits.

If you assumed just for the sake of argument that these studies are correct, then you could narrow their alleged fed-private pay gap considerably by just cutting back federal holidays/leave. But, of course, no one is talking about cutting back federal leave b/c that doesn’t affect the budget–only pay and actual benefits.

7. Miranda Says:
    November 7th, 2011 at 8:24 pm

When they say that there will be a reduction, will anyone be fired? In tough economic times, I can kind of see how government jobs might be stretched even further over fewer people, just because cuts are necessary. But does this just mean that for every two people that quit/retire, they will hire one more? Or does it mean that they will actually let go of ten percent of the federal workforce?

8. S. Samm Says:
    February 26th, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Thirty to forty percent higher than the private sector! Holy cow Mitt. Maybe you can explain to me why I took a $7K cut in pay going from the private sector to the government. I had a much better retirement plan and received bonuses annually, something I don’t have with the government. Why did I go over to the government, you may ask. Well, i took a federal position because I believe in what the civil service does for American and the American public. You and a majority of politicians today are trying to fix the deficit on the backs of federal employees – you’re just another clueless, self-serving polictical hack!