Moving to cheaper health care plans? We want to hear from you

Federal employees have endured several years of steep hikes to their health care premiums. Has this prompted you to switch health care plans, perhaps to a cheaper alternative? Or are you trying out high-deductible health plans, or consumer-driven health plans?

We’d like to hear from you, and why you’re switching health plans. E-mail me at slosey@federaltimes.com if you’d like to talk.

Tags: ,

Comments

1. Steve Says:
    October 27th, 2011 at 3:12 pm

I switched to a consumer driven health plan several years ago. I have been happy with both the coverage and service, and in years past, it was relatively inexpensive. This year, however, we are seeing a 22% increase in premiums, on the heels of a 17% increase in 2011.

2. Robert Benson Says:
    October 28th, 2011 at 2:36 am

Retired employees who become eligible for Medicare no longer need the hospital part of their coverage. So, what is needed is an insurance choice that recognizes this, and offers a plan for Medicare eligible retirees.

3. Anonymous Says:
    October 28th, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I switched to the Value Plan and it pays NOTHING!. Instead of paying $65 for a 3 month supply of Lipitor, it now costs me $203. I’ll be switching from that company altogether.

4. Sarah Says:
    October 29th, 2011 at 1:29 pm

I haven’t switched plans yet no matter what the rate increases are because the plan I have is a very good comprehensive one. Now, that doesn’t mean that I haven’t had to sacrifice in other areas to cover the ever increasing/changing costs/specs of the plan along with the rise of inflation and the decrease of salary due to the current nature of politics in relation to the Fed Workers.

5. Don Campbell Says:
    October 29th, 2011 at 10:11 pm

I retired as a letter carrier in Jan 2005. My (Anthem) Blue Cross-Blue Shield was costing me $183 per month for my share. Beginning in Jan 2012 my share will be over $541 per month. Inflation? I thought COLA’S would at least help to offset rising costs. Wrong. No COLA’S for the past two years, yet co-pays have more than doubled and my share of the premiums have almost tripled. I’d like to change, but change to what? Most of the companies are doing the same thing.

6. anonymous Says:
    November 3rd, 2011 at 10:23 am

I am covered under an FEHP. I have the family plan since I have a disabled spouse. I have $229.58 deducted from payroll deductions EVERY 2 weeks AND the government share is $403.98. Do the math …$633.56/biweekly. Why should health insurance cost so much?…. and I’ve compared and shopped around – not alot out there when you live in a rural area – It’s highway robbery and yet they talk about wanting federal employees to pay more & more…what do they want…blood?