Federal Times buyout tracker

With well over a dozen agencies considering, planning or offering buyouts and early retirements, we thought it was time to compile all this data together into one easy-to-find chart. As new agencies announce buyouts or update their plans, we’ll update the chart too, so keep checking FedLine for the latest in buyout news.

The latest is the Library of Congress, which today told employees it would offer buyouts and early outs to up to 349 employees. And it’s a safe bet that plenty more are on their way, especially with the White House eying budget cuts of up to 10 percent.

Agency Month Numbers Details
Justice Jan. 31 Antitrust Division employees who took buyouts
USPS April 2,003 Employees who took $20,000 buyouts; left by June
FTC April 38 Employees who took buyouts and early outs and left by end of June; offers were extended to 301 employees
USDA May 544 Employees offered buyouts; unspecified number of early retirements also offered
Smithsonian May 104 Employees who applied for buyouts so far; some may drop out by Oct. 1 deadline
GPO June 330 Buyouts and early outs offered
NRC June Up to 50 Plans to ask for permission to offer up to 50 buyouts and unspecified number of early retirements; says still polishing request to be submitted to OPM
HUD June Unk. Said several offices have permission to offer buyouts and early outs
Army Aug. Up to 8,741 Announces plans to cut 8,741 civilian jobs by Oct. 2012, at least in part through buyouts and early outs
Education Aug. Unk. Announces buyouts and early retirements largely targeted at senior officials
GAO Aug. 56 Employees offered buyouts, unspecified number also offered early retirements; must leave by Sept. 30
Commerce Aug. Unk. Offers buyouts and early outs through Dec. 31, 2012
Air Force Aug. Up to 4,000 Announces plans to offer buyouts and early outs to 4,000 civilians
Library of Congress Aug. 349 Buyouts and early outs offered; 175 to Library Services, 52 to Copyright division, 40 to Congressional Research Service, 29 to Office of Support Operations, 24 to Office of Strategic Initiatives, 16 to Law Library, 13 to Office of the Librarian

Tags: , ,

Comments

1. Fran Says:
    August 19th, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Any word or inkling of whether the Social Security Administration will be offering any real incentives to retire – I have 38 yrs and was hoping for 40 yrs but if it works to my best interest and advantage, I will leave sooner.
    Thanks

2. Robert Benson Says:
    August 19th, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Employees considering whether to go should try the tools at fedbens.us . Number one on the menu calculates annuities, and number two does buyout pay. There is a total of nine helpful calculators on this free website – all good!

3. EEGARR4ERRLLYOUTT Says:
    August 20th, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Hopefully, EPA will be next! Can’t Wait! Where do I sign?
    Will return as contractor at twice the pay!

4. adfef Says:
    August 21st, 2011 at 3:02 pm

5. NormfromGA Says:
    August 22nd, 2011 at 9:17 am

Hey, I’ve been camping here for nearly 30 years…

Show me the money, and I’m out of here!

6. Boris Says:
    August 22nd, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Social Security should have a buy out, many, many CSRS employees would take. I know I would with 35 years of service under CSRS.

7. Jennifer Says:
    August 23rd, 2011 at 8:26 am

In reply to adfef who said, “The people that have been camping out in the same position for the past 20 years need to get out and retire since they don’t want to move up and they are not contributing anymore to the position and then need to make room for someone below them to move up.”

Some of us have 20+ years in a position that we are “camping out” in but do not have the MRA (Minimum Retirement Age) in order to retire and not lose 5% per year. Did it ever occur to you that some people have had the same job for 20 years or more because it is something they love to do? Something they are good at? The person may NOT want to move up the career ladder…not all of us want to be Supervisors or management.

Before you start throwing rocks at some of us old-timers, perhaps you ought to remember…you may be here someday!

8. ftre Says:
    August 23rd, 2011 at 11:48 am

no u will not eager4earlyout

9. Gregory Says:
    August 23rd, 2011 at 2:57 pm

The early buy out will not decrease government spending because employees will just return as contractors. The government needs to cutback on the contractors and spending. The cutback on govenment employees will not decrease governemnet spending but increase contrators staff and spending.

10. LastLifeboatOnTitanic Says:
    August 23rd, 2011 at 5:35 pm

There needs to be a mandatory retirement age, so all the double and triple-dippers will be forced off their gravy train. I just retired at age 64, and I know so many people who are just sitting at the top of the seniority list, holding all the best jobs and thinking they are going to get a big fat early out, on top of their high-level pay, benefits and OT….. come on people, move over and make room for some new blood! Hardly any FTR’s are younger than 40!

11. ITALY4ME Says:
    August 23rd, 2011 at 5:54 pm

What are the regulations on who these can be given to? Is there some type of hierarchy that is put into place?

If not, the good old boy network will surely play into this within each agency. If it is offered to me, the door will not hit me in the rear……….35 years and ready to roll!

12. Steve Says:
    August 24th, 2011 at 5:17 am

As Gregory points out, all these buy-outs and early retirements will not save the government money. All it does is shift financial burdens from the agencies to the US Treasury who must then pay out the pensions. The agency then re-employs the retired employee under several “contract” guises, admittedly at a lower cost than their final salary, i.e. savings for the agency. But now the employee has 150% PLUS salary . . . and who do you think is paying????

13. NormfromGA Says:
    August 24th, 2011 at 9:00 am

The official word here is that there are no eligibility restrictions, but with only about 2000 offers to be tended, and at least five times that many showing interest when polled last spring, there will probably be some internal “guidelines” being followed.
    Unfortunately the HR types may take last week’s request from the President to heart, and proactively promote retention of qualified women and minorities, thus foisting those bonuses only on us unsuspecting white guys. 8^(
    “Only please … PLEASE don’t throw me into the briar patch.”

14. Fedline » Buyouts beginning at Army Says:
    September 14th, 2011 at 3:07 pm

[...] is the latest in a recent trend of federal agencies offering buyouts and early retirements to cut their ranks, largely due to ever-tightening budgets. Expect to see a lot more [...]

15. anthony Says:
    September 15th, 2011 at 2:19 am

why not offer a blanket vera / visp to ALL federal employee’s, if they, quote leadership are serious about reducing the force.

16. steve Says:
    September 15th, 2011 at 10:23 am

Does anyone have any information on a buyout for DoD Navy?

17. Fedline » GAO OK’s 41 buyouts Says:
    September 15th, 2011 at 5:55 pm

[...] continues government agencies’ ongoing trend of offering buyouts and early retirements to deal with tight budgets in the coming [...]

18. John Says:
    September 18th, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I’m 57 with 39+ years of federal service. If they want me to retire, all they need to do is offer a buyout in my agency. I’m tired of our current administration’s lack of support for federal workers. I thought that Democratic presidents were supposed to love us.

19. Emmett Says:
    September 30th, 2011 at 8:32 am

I have 38 years service and have my fingers crossed for a VSIP. I’m tired of all the hoopla over federal employees. The news media says we make too much and have the greatest benefits, and people believe that. No one is concerned about the fact that not just anyone can do our jobs.
    I am a Vietnam veteran, so I know what it is like and how little appreciation is given to veterans. I’m used to it. However, no one has thanked me, including my management, when I deployed to Saudi Arabia and lived in the desert in a tent. No one has thanked me for going to Kosovo when there were no bases and the troops had little support. In 2007, I deployed to Iraq and received no thanks from the agency I work for. My health has greatly declined since that deployment, but that is OK as I was there for the troops. I didn’t have to do any of that. I could have stayed home, but I wanted to support the troops to the best of my ability and the troops tend to appreciate the older veterans going into harms way, as we tend to become second fathers or big brothers. One thing I’m sure of is that this president is not really appreciative of veterans. He just plays the game.
    I do get somewhat angered when management doesn’t thank us for doing what they wouldn’t do. But, for me, I’ve heard the thanks of the troops and have thanked the troops myself for their voluntary sacrifice.
    I love my job, but something closing in on me says it is time to go. I’m ready and I think I’ll open my own business with veterans set asides. I can easily prove that I am a 10 point veteran, and that may be the only way Uncle Sam is ever going to show any respect for me and/or thank me for my service. I’m not going away with anger, but with a better insight into my agency’s management. They are toads, one and all.

20. Fedline » Daily Caller’s epic EPA fail Says:
    September 30th, 2011 at 4:16 pm

[...] At a time when agencies across the government are facing massive budget crunches, buying out employees left and right, and in some cases considering layoffs, the EPA’s work force of 19,000 is [...]

21. Beth Says:
    January 11th, 2012 at 8:26 am

Any word if the EPA will offer a buyout in 2012?