Shutdown worries? We want to hear from you

Federal Times is trying to keep a close eye on the government shutdown, and we’d like to hear more from the federal employees who are going to be most affected by it.

Have you heard yet whether you’re furloughed or not? How did you find out? What’s the mood like in your office? Are you angry that you’re going to be made to work without pay until Congress and the White House resolve their differences? Are you worried that losing pay during a furlough will make it tough to make ends meet?

E-mail me at slosey@federaltimes.com if you’d like to talk. (And since you aren’t supposed to access your work e-mail during a shutdown, it’ll probably be best to include additional contact information.)

Tags:

Comments

1. jovianna Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 10:24 am

I would like to know how can employee be told to come to work becasue they found “money” from somewhere for us to be here????? I thought that shut down means shut down, and we have been made essential to be her for 4 days… and where is it in black and white that says that?????

2. Denise Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 11:38 am

If we truly SHUT-DOWN, then all of those “Essential” politicians who will still be getting paid in Congress truly need to ShUT-UP! They open their mouths to get your vote and in the long run you’re left hanging because they didn’t do their, and I quote “Essential” work!

3. SSAemployee Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 11:42 am

A manager at SSA just tried telling us that we all would have to work despite a shutdown, but that we may not get paid for it retroactively. I’m pretty sure that’s illegal and this lady didn’t know what she was talking about. She also said that the SSA cafeteria workers were also essential…??

4. DHS Employee Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 2:20 pm

IF there is a shutdown how come agencies are not notifying employees who are essential and non essential. I work for ICE and NO ONE has bothered to tell us if we are going risk being furloughed. How can Congress get paid and push us low paying hard working employees to the curb? Plus now Congress is saying they will take a 2 week Easter break PAID if we are on a Furlough….Let’s cut back by stopping government travel to trainings and utilize skype instead….I won’t be surprised if at midnight we are shut down and then at 5am on Monday we are open and the shutdown is over…..a stupid mind game by politicians…

5. Maria Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Congress should not be paid. They are part of the government even though they consider themselves supreme to all other federal workers.
    Can I send my congressman my bills to pay and can he provide my weekly groceries.
    Remember and eye for an eye!

6. VADUDE Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 6:09 pm

We have also been told they found money somwhere for us to work Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Then they may the determine we are essential. This is unreal, they are making the rules as they go. This whole thing is a joke.
    If education claims examiners are essential so is everyone else.

7. Doug Dash Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 6:26 pm

I just received my notification that I will be furloughed if it happens. This was done in person by our highest-ranking official. We appreciate the personal touch.

This situation was well orchestrated by the Democrats that were in complete majority power last year, and decided not to pass a FY11 budget. They are trying to put the blame on the GOP in a repeat of the 1995-96 shutdown that resulted in a spike of then President Clinton’s public approval rating which resulted in his re-election. Obama has high hopes.

Unfortunately, they have decided to throw us on the sacrificial altar in order to achieve their political goal. I pray that they are all voted out of their seats that they have clearly shown that they are unworthy of. The only thing that they are good at is overspending tax dollars.

8. Dan Says:
    April 10th, 2011 at 10:57 am

Government stop spending my money!!!!!!

9. gov Says:
    April 12th, 2011 at 8:19 pm

They are starting to beg for money now for next year’s election. Let’s remind them of this when they call or write.