Moran: Congress may take 2-week Easter break during shutdown

Seriously?

Rep. Jim Moran, D-Va., just delivered an extremely unwelcome message to a town hall full of soon-to-be-furloughed federal employees: Congress still plans take its scheduled two-week Easter break scheduled to begin April 18, even if lawmakers haven’t solved the budget mess by then:

If you are a federal employee, I think you need to start conserving whatever financial resources you have. Be very careful about large purchases. Make sure you have enough money at least for the mortgage, or the monthly rent and car payment and so on. Because this could be extended.

We would hope and expect that if there is a shutdown that it will only last through the weekend. We of course will be on the job throughout the weekend trying to reach a resolution. An extension might last until the middle of next week. But Congress has decided that it’s going to take an Easter break, the district work period they call it. But for two weeks, Congress won’t be in session. So if there isn’t any resolution, the furlough could well extend for three or four weeks.

As you might imagine, that didn’t go over very well. One woman threw her hands up in the air in frustration, and another man angrily asked Moran, “Why don’t you stay on the job, then?” Hopefully Congress won’t be that stupid, but who knows with them. This could get ugly.

Tags: ,

Comments

1. Sunna Dottir Says:
    April 7th, 2011 at 9:32 pm

With the advent of “Social Media”, do we *really* need Congress to represent the PEOPLE? Can’t we vote right from our homes and pass the budget WE want? Just a thought!

2. Welder Says:
    April 7th, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Really – take a vacation, too bad our military doesn’t have that luxury.

Had you done your job and passed a budget last year, when you owned all branches of gubmint, we wouldn’t be here.

3. Laura Says:
    April 7th, 2011 at 10:22 pm

All hell will break lose if they go on vacation while America is not getting paid. Makes me sick to think they may b fine but other hard working americans will not be. I am assuming that thye will have a blank paycheck. Sickening! Their apparent lack of regard for the american people.

4. Nicole Says:
    April 7th, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Is this some kind of sick joke?

5. Victor Abeyta Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 5:01 am

I think what the Republican members of Congress are doing by holding the administration hostage with their demands for cuts is unconscionable. The hurt a shut down will inflict on millions of Americans appears not to faze them. Has the question about voluntarily giving up their pay been posed? Of course not. Besides, most are wealthy enough to weather any shutdown. I do not believe this adolescent behavior is what the American people expect from their representatives. Everyone needs to step back and act as responsible adults and deal with the issues in a rational and constructive manner.

6. PK Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 6:46 am

You can’t be serious. If this goes down I will be performing the Baltimore basket.

7. Chris Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 9:23 am

ARE YOU SERIOUS … Easter Break. The fact that he plans to take an Easter Break tells me I wont be voting for ANY democrats in the next election; the fact the the republicans wasted time on the bill the Senate AND the president said where a non-starter/would be vetoes tells me I will not be voting for ANY republicans. BOTH these parties are a bunch of CLOWNS and as long as either party is in office, we are in the years and years and year of the SAME OLD CRAP. Wake up VOTER…Wake UP.

8. Stephen W. Davis Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 10:05 am

Congressman Moran faced an audience last night which was primarily composed of civil, rational concerned citizens, including federal employees, federal contractors and others whose economic well being is tied to federal spending. He did an excellent job of explaining how we came to this impass, i.e., the house passed a budget last year and the Senate Republicans killed it. Period. He also advised those hostile elements in the audience, akin to some of the commentators here, that the GOP controls the House, sets the agenda, controls the schedule, including the so called “Easter Break”. Of course, explanations and facts don’t get in the way of a good rant, and the two year olds who comprise the tea party freshmen in the House are perfect examples of dogmatic adherence to simple minded mantra, no matter the cost to life and limb of other people.

9. Mark Gwaltney Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 1:21 pm

This is plain ridiculous. If I am not mistaken isn’t a easter break considered a easter vacation? They really believe that taking a vacation is ok when they aren’t even doing their job right? Maybe if you did your job correct then I would considered/remotely even think about a vacation.

10. Ticked GI Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Wow the Republicans blocked the budget in the Senate last year when the Democrats had a supermajority in both the House Senate and had the White House. They’re magicians! Thanks for the explanation Congressman Moran or is that Moron. The Democrats wouldn’t pass a budget because they knew they would get even more clobbered in the polls when Americans saw all the wasteful spending. Now they can’t agree to a miniscule $61 billion dollar cut. The annual deficit is over $1.5 trillion, the debt is over $12 trillion and you fight $61 Billion in cuts. Unbelievably irresponsible. I think he is only suggesting congress might go on vacation because he knows he can pin that on the Republicans since they now control the house. No way the Republicans vote for that if the budget isn’t signed. By the way, the House already passed a budget, the Senate refuses to take it up. Whose acting childish?

11. Chris King Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Hey Stephen W. ,

As if you didn’t notice, Democrats had control over the Senate, House AND the Executive office. They could’ve passed anything they wanted like OBAMACARE. Get real. That’s why were in this mess not with a multi-trillion dollar debt.

12. Randy Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 2:01 pm

He has really nice hair, I wonder who his stylist is…

13. rose Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I am an SSA employee. If I dont get my last pay in April, I will lose my house to tax sale. Can someone tell me how I can prevent my house from going to tax sale?

14. American Values Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 3:59 pm

America, the land of no responsibility. I blame everyone else for everything, it’s so easy that way, especially when they have different ideas I don’t like. When the founders said “United we stand”, there was a lot of wisdom being spoken. That wisdom is completely forgotten because it’s so much easier to be a rude, why would I ever want to do something difficult? Fine lets tear America apart, why not. I hate you all anyway.

15. Armywife Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Getting facts straight: The house DID NOT pass a budget last year. They passed continuing resolutions. Not ONE BUDGET. First thing the Republicans did this year, pass a budget, which the Senate Democrats are blocking. The Republicans are holding fast to do the job the DEMOCRATS refused to do last year! The democrats kicked the can so that we could be exactly here, getting needed budget cuts and the dems could just whine and complain and score political points because they didn’t have the guts or leadership to do it when they had full control. Even though they were able to maneuver through a healthcare bill that NO ONE knew what was in it and the majority of americans oppose. The majority of americans WANT budget cuts, They WANT responsibility in washington and once again the Dem’s are crying “It’s not OUR fault”.

16. John Boy Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Is it Moran or Moron??? Oh, I’m sorry, you are a victim of family inbreeding so I’ll leave it at MORON…Our ELECTED representaives are not interested in “We The People”, the people are not wee and we will show all of you that the next time you ask us to help you keep your job. Republicans, Democrats, Lefties, Righties, whatever – The Tea Party is just the begining, how you have forgotten history. Pissed…

17. Cassandra Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 5:40 pm

NOT ok!!!! No congressmen of my state of Washington better be thinking of taking a break cause I will vote you out so fast next election your head will spin!!!!!

18. JS Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Will he pay my mortgage for me, right or wrong I live paycheck to paycheck, as my GS-9 pay does not give me enough to save for this?

19. ctiger Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 5:54 pm

“Easter” break? Hmm… somehow politically incorrect.

20. Laura Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 6:29 pm

It is kinda funny that the Dems are screaming that it is the Republican’s fault when this budget that was due 10/1/2010 could have been done by the Dems when they controlled everything. The problem is that they wanted to spend spend spend. Even some of their own wouldn’t go for that just before NOV elections. Most people get fired when they don’t do their jobs – what about it Dems?

21. SS Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Are you a complete idiot for publishing something like this?

22. Virginia Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 9:34 pm

If the budget is not passed Congress should not be paid or eligible for vacation. They should have to follow the same rules the furloughed employees have to follow. Just wait until election time.

23. BeckyC Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Victor and Stephen, if you’re going to post public comments, at least take the time to educate yourself on the facts. Makes you look pretty stupid otherwise.

24. Bruce Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Is AFGE and federal public servants gonna take these $old-Out POS’ Or NOT?!

25. Stephen W. Davis Says:
    April 8th, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Obviously, most commentators in this string do not know the inner workings of the Senate. If they did, they would know that during the last session it took 60 votes to pass anything and that the Republicans essentially took that fillibuster path to block virtually everything. Now, one could argue that the rules of the Senate were not conducive to legislative action, but one could also read just a little bit of history and understand that the Senate was meant to be the deliberative body where legislation affecting the future of the Republic would be slow in coming. Or, of course, one could just wear a tri-corner hat with tea bags hanging from it and pretend to be the only “real American” on the continent by virtue of shouting louder and having nothing whatsoever to say.

26. India C. Says:
    April 9th, 2011 at 12:30 am

Here’s an idea Davis, have those PUBLIC SERVANTS who are using American tax dollars to live their lavish lives postpone their Easter whatever until such time that they have come up with a budget that will serve the needs of the people they ANSWER to!

Don’t try to distract me with facts on the “inner workings” of anything. I’m not biting. I’d also suggest that you refrain from insulting people simply because they expect the people who are paid to work for the people actually work for the people. If government employees are not getting paid then that should be the case across the board. There shouldnt be an exception for the very people who are responsible for prolonging the budget issue in the first place. It’s real simple no gov paychecks until a budget is passed, period. I don’t care what kind of reasoning you use to distract from the major issue which is that congressmen work FOR the people and should not give themselves fat checks when the people are expected to get loans to make ends meet while they are an “break”. What a HUGE insult.