Ask The Experts: Retirement

By Reg Jones

Retirement age

Bookmark and Share

Q. If you worked full time for the federal government for six years and part time for four years, and retired at age 62, can you obtain federal retirement then?

A. Yes. In fact, you would only have to have five years of service to be entitled to a retirement annuity at age 62.



Buy back

Bookmark and Share

Q. I have 20 years at the VA and two years of military service of which I paid back to get credit. I worked in the Postal Service from 1970 to 1977 and took out my retirement.  Can I repay, with interest, that money to receive credit for those seven years?

A. Yes, you can.

Tags: ,

‘Retire, FERS’ refund

Bookmark and Share

Q. My wife worked for the federal government from 2011 to 2012 and resigned in August 2012 due to medical reasons. During that two years of service, $222.07 was deducted from her pay for “Retire, FERS” and there were matching funds of $3281.31, so the total is $3503.30 for the “Retire, FERS.” Can my wife request that money be refunded?

A. If she doesn’t plan to return to federal service, she would only be entitled to a refund of her own retirement contributions. Doing so would cancel her entitlement to any future retirement benefit. However, if she got a refund and later returned to federal service, she could redeposit that money, plus accrued interest, to get credit for that period of service.