Ask The Experts: Retirement

By Reg Jones

39 quarters

Bookmark and Share

Q. I am 61 years old and have been retired from the fire service. I have, according to Social Security, 39 units which were not earned at fire service. If correct, I need one unit to earn Social Security at age 62, and I need this unit also to be eligible for Medicare at age 65? Is there any other way to get this one quarter other than going to get a job for three months?

A. To get one credit in 2014, you’d only have to earn $1,200. You could do that by working at a job from which Social Security payments are deducted or as someone who is self-employed. However, in the latter case, the Social Security Administration wouldn’t know that until 2015, when you filed your 2014 income tax return.


  1. dprater Says:
    February 18th, 2014 at 5:38 pm

    Also, he should not need an additional quarter of Social Security to be eligible for Medicare. If he retired from federal employment, he paid into Medicare as a federal employee, and should therefore be eligible.