Ask The Experts: Retirement

By Reg Jones

Deposit under FERS

Bookmark and Share

Q. I’m a full-time federal employee (under FERS) and when I was in college, I worked each Christmas at the post office (1966-1969). I was considered a federal employee and still have my payroll statements. I was told at a federal retirement seminar that I could make a deposit to the retirement system and have that time counted toward my retirement. I submitted the usual paperwork to credit this work but was told I must apply through the Postal Service. Any suggestions? I’ve checked their retirement website but don’t see any forms to credit to FERS.

A. All you have to do is go to, download a copy of Standard Form 3108, fill it out, and send it to the Office of Personnel Management.

Leave a Reply

PLEASE NOTE! Do not submit ANY questions via the Comments form. Instead, please send your questions directly to Questions submitted via the Comments form will NOT be answered!