Ask The Experts: Retirement

By Reg Jones

Wrong retirement system?

Bookmark and Share

Q. I am 59 with 29 years of service under FERS.  I have a service computation date of Dec. 17, 1983, due to other part-time work with the government. I started with the government in May 1984 on this job. Am I allowed to buy back and make deposits toward this time? Is there any way I can change over to CSRS? I don’t remember begin given a choice.

A. Because it appears that you didn’t have five years of actual CSRS service before FERS became effective on Jan. 1, 1987, you would automatically have been placed in FERS.

Leave a Reply

PLEASE NOTE! Do not submit ANY questions via the Comments form. Instead, please send your questions directly to Questions submitted via the Comments form will NOT be answered!