By Reg Jones
Q. I am a FERS employee due to retire with 31 years of service in 2015. Upon retirement, if I elect no survivor benefit and elect to purchase life insurance instead, will my spouse continue to receive health benefits if I die before she does?
A. No, she won’t. FYI: You are required by law to provide a full survivor annuity for your wife unless she agrees in a formal, notarized writing to accept less or none at all.
Dave Sheets Says:
August 29th, 2013 at 3:55 pm
My understanding is that unless you choose at least the 25% survivorship, your wife will not have any health coverage through you at all. You have to choose of either 25% or 50% survivorship for coverage to continue.