Ask The Experts: Retirement

By Reg Jones

Increase in Social Security benefits

Bookmark and Share

Q. I am retired under CSRS, then took a part-time job in the private sector to get my 40 credits to collect at least something from Social Security. I have recently started collecting my windfall elimination provision-reduced Social Security benefit. I am continuing to work this job. I see upon logging on to My Social Security, that my 2012 income has been posted but my monthly payment has not increased. Do my earnings increase my Social Security payments? When does that happen?

A. If you are entitled to an increase in your Social Security benefit, it will usually show up in October and be retroactive to the beginning of the year.

Leave a Reply

PLEASE NOTE! Do not submit ANY questions via the Comments form. Instead, please send your questions directly to Questions submitted via the Comments form will NOT be answered!