Ask The Experts: Retirement

By Reg Jones

Deferred retirement

Bookmark and Share

Q. I’ve been a federal employee for more than five years and plan to retire using deferred retirement. Am I eligible to retire using this retirement? I know I won’t get my deferred annuity until I reach 62 years old. What are the requirements for using this retirement plan? I have read that I need to leave my contribution in to retire. What is this contribution? My Thrift Savings Plan or others?

A. You would be entitled to a deferred retirement at age 62 if you don’t ask for a refund of your retirement contributions. Whether you do or don’t ask for a refund of your TSP contributions would have no effect on that.


  1. Rob Says:
    July 25th, 2013 at 11:15 am

    I believe the total of your FERS contributions is listed in block 19 of your LES labelled Cumulative Retirement. This is the amount you have contributed to FERS since you began.