Ask The Experts: Retirement

By Reg Jones

Same-sex domestic partnership and FEHB

Bookmark and Share

Q. I live in Washington state, I’m a widower and I receive a federal annuity. I’m in a relationship with a widow. Unable to marry because my partner would lose her survivor benefit from her late husband. Does FEHB recognize opposite-sex domestic partnership as Washington state does? I know FEHB does not recognize same-sex domestic partnership.

A. If you have a valid common law marriage (with a spouse of the opposite sex), your spouse is considered an eligible family member. Otherwise, no.

Leave a Reply

PLEASE NOTE! Do not submit ANY questions via the Comments form. Instead, please send your questions directly to Questions submitted via the Comments form will NOT be answered!