Ask The Experts: Retirement

By Reg Jones

Transferring leave

Bookmark and Share

Q. There is a possibility I can move (promotion) to a different government organization. I have 4½ years now with the General Services Administration, and the new position is with the Air Force. Would all items transfer from one to another (sick leave, annual leave, so on)?

A. Yes.


  1. T Says:
    July 12th, 2013 at 5:00 pm

    The answer is correct, but it’s important to note that this does not happen automatically, and sometimes the process can be delayed for a few months. Some agencies will accept your last LES from GSA to credit your annual and sick leave, but others will wait until an official SF-1150 (that details your leave information) to be generated and received. This form is usually sent with your OPF to the new agency, but there are times that this isn’t forwarded along properly and it takes months and months for an employee to receive credit. It’s unfair, but it’s the way it is sometimes… I’d recommend making sure you keep contact information for your HR at GSA just in case there are any problems so that you have someone to go to for a resolution.