Ask The Experts: Retirement

By Reg Jones

Calculating the special retirement supplement

Bookmark and Share

Q. I retired under a Voluntary Early Retirement Authority with 24 years of service. I’m supposed to start receiving my special retirement supplement when I turn 56, my minimum retirement age. I don’t know how much the supplement will be or how to calculate it. How can I find out how much my SRS will come to?

A. The best anyone can do is approximate the amount. To do that, use the following formula: Take the Social Security estimate provided by the Social Security Administration, divide it by 40, and multiply the product by the number of years you were a FERS employee, rounded to the nearest whole number. Do not include active duty service for which you’ve made a deposit.


  1. Robert Benson Says:
    July 19th, 2013 at 8:13 pm

    Go to, select #9 on the menu, and you will then be able to calculate your annuity supplement, to the penny.

    Good luck!