Ask The Experts: Retirement

By Reg Jones

Changing health insurance coverage after marriage, retirement

Bookmark and Share

Q. I am a FERS retiree with self-only coverage and will be getting married in July. My fiancee has a good, inexpensive health care plan through her private employer but cannot carry that coverage into retirement. Can I wait until she retires (five years from now) to switch to self-and-family coverage, or do I have to switch within 60 days of the wedding? If I can wait, would I have to make the change during an open season, or would her loss of eligibility due to retirement be considered a qualifying life event?

A. You could make the change under Permissible Change 2G, Loss of coverage under a nonfederal health plan. And you can do that from 31 days before through 60 days after loss of coverage.


  1. BobLoblaw Says:
    June 28th, 2013 at 9:48 am

    You should also remember that for your wife to continue in the FEHB upon your death she must be covered at the time, and you must have provided her with a survivor benefit.