Ask The Experts: Retirement

By Reg Jones

Staying in CSRS versus FERS or CSRS offset

Bookmark and Share

Q. I served in the military from June 1974 to April 1981. I was then hired by civil service in April 1983 as a temporary employee. I was picked up as permanent in July 1984, and my service computation date is June 1976.

For whatever reason, when FERS was implemented, I was left in the original CSRS retirement plan and have been paying into CSRS for 29 years and 11 months. I applied for retirement computation last month and was notified by the human resource office that I will have to switch to FERS or CSRS offset to retire. Since I have invested into CRSR my whole career, can I remain in CSRS?

A. If you should have been in CSRS offset or FERS, no provision in law or regulation would allow you to remain a pure CSRS employee.

Tags: , , ,


  1. Pat M Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 2:39 pm

    Can’t this person apply to remain under CSRS under the provisions of FERCCA? He was placed in the wrong retirement system by his Agency, for more than 5 years. That’s what FERCCA is for. I would go to Agency HR and tell them that. It’s their mistake.

  2. CSRS Offset Retiree Says:
    May 21st, 2013 at 3:02 pm

    You will suffer no loss by being switched to CSRS Offset and will receive at least as much retirement income, if not a bit more, as under pure CSRS. The difference is that your monthly income will come from two sources, OPM and Social Security.