Ask The Experts: Retirement

By Reg Jones

CSRS offset and annuity

Bookmark and Share

Q. I received a refund of my CSRS contributions when I separated from federal service in 1993. Four years later, I returned to federal service. I am CSRS offset.

Because I withdrew my contributions from CSRS, and federal service where Social Security taxes are withheld is not affected by the windfall elimination provision, will withdrawing CSRS contributions change my Social Security benefit when I retire?

A. No. Because you took a refund of your retirement contributions after Feb. 28, 1991, that period of service won’t be used in the computation of your annuity.

Tags: , , , ,


  1. Joyce Says:
    May 29th, 2013 at 3:29 pm

    I posted a ‘We the People’ petition re: all Offset employees. Maybe readers would be interested?