Ask The Experts: Retirement

By Reg Jones

Drawing from spouse’s retirement

Bookmark and Share

Q. I retired from CSRS on disability. I have my 40 quarters. My wife is retired from Social Security. Can I draw from her account at age 62?

A. Because you are receiving an annuity from a retirement system in which you didn’t pay Social Security taxes, any spousal Social Security benefit to which you are entitled will be affected by the windfall elimination provision. The WEP will reduce that benefit by $2 for every $3 you receive in your CSRS annuity.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,


  1. Rob Pepper Says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 2:01 pm

    The offset that you refer to in answer to this question is the Government Pension Offset (GPO) not the WEP.