Ask The Experts: Retirement

By Reg Jones

Railroad buyback

Bookmark and Share

Q. In 1985-87, I worked for the railroad and I was paying into FERS. I left without being vested in the system. Now I have completed five years in FERS. Am I able to buy the railroad retirement time of two years and apply it to my FERS? I called the railroad retirement system and they said the federal money I contributed was sent to Social Security.

A. Unfortunately, no.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Comments are closed.