Ask The Experts: Retirement

By Reg Jones

Credit for leave without pay

Bookmark and Share

Q. I worked for the Defense Department in Germany. When my husband was given a permanent change of station, I was granted terminal leave without pay for one year from my job. I started working again for the federal government one month after my terminal leave ran out. How is this terminal leave time counted toward my retirement? I am under FERS.

A. There is no provision for terminal leave in the federal civilian government. Therefore, unless DoD has a special provision of which I’m unaware, you were on leave without pay. If that’s the case, you would get credit for six months of LWOP in a calendar year. No credit would be given for any time beyond that, nor could you make a deposit to get credit for it.

Tags: , ,


  1. Michael Says:
    May 24th, 2012 at 2:51 am

    You should have utilized family emergency leave till the end and then LWOP. That way you would have gotten paid.