Ask The Experts: Retirement

By Reg Jones

Special pay rate and locality adjustment

Bookmark and Share

Q: I am an employee at a VA hospital under the TCF program. I am a TCF intern, so I am on a special pay pate. With the elimination of the FCIP program that hired me, I have been converted to a permanent employee. Before the conversion I was getting paid an additional locality adjustment on top of my special pay rate, but now I am getting my special pay without the locality adjustment. Am I supposed to get an additional locality adjustment on top of my special pay, or should I only be receiving my special pay rate without the locality adjustment?

A: It’s possible that your special pay matches or exceeds the basic pay for your grade, including locality pay. If it does then you wouldn’t be entitled to any further adjustment. Check with your payroll office.

Tags: , ,


  1. Danica Patrick Says:
    January 11th, 2012 at 1:31 am

    Can I make a suggestion? I believe youve got some thing good here. But what in case you added a couple links to a page that backs up what youre saying? Or perhaps you could give us some thing to take a look at, some thing that would connect what youre saying to something tangible? Just a suggestion.