Ask The Experts: Retirement

By Reg Jones

Disability retirement after loss of dual status

Bookmark and Share

Q: I am a Federal Employees Retirement System dual-status federal technician in the Army National Guard. I am looking at a possible involuntary separation because of losing my dual status (nonmedical related) later this year. I am 45 years old with 12 years of federal service. Would I qualify for any type of involuntary separation/disability annuity payment?

A: You would be eligible for disability retirement if you are separated due to a disability that disqualifies you from membership in a reserve component of the armed forces or from holding the military grade required for such employment; you aren’t appointed to another position in the federal government; and you haven’t declined a reasonable offer of another position in your agency.

Tags: , , , , , , ,


  1. Delles Schneider Says:
    December 30th, 2010 at 11:38 am

    Note: As dual status technician if you have both 50 years of age and 25 years of creditable service, you will not qualify for a disability, but a dicountined service retirement. The special provisions put you under 5 USC 8414 (c).