Ask The Experts: Money Matters

By Mike Miles

Resigning and rolling over TSP into 401(k)

Bookmark and Share

Q. If I resign after 14 years of civil service and do not wish to cash out my Thrift Savings Plan, can I roll it over into a private-sector employer’s 401(k) without penalties?

A. Yes.

Tags: , , ,


  1. stoutboy Says:
    July 28th, 2013 at 12:17 pm

    Yes, but why in the world would you want to? Nothing in the private sector approaches the TSP, especially when fees and expense ratios are considered, which will end up being the single most important factor affecting 401k performance.