Ask The Experts: Money Matters

By Mike Miles

Rolling TSP into IRA

Bookmark and Share

Q. Can you elaborate more on the “Ask the Experts” answer at  The answer seems to imply that under some circumstances, Thrift Savings Plan funds can be rolled over into self-directed IRAs. Can you explain the circumstances under which it’s legal, and can you provide references? I’d like to create a self-directed IRA for my husband, who is 45 years old and no longer in federal service, and then use the funds to purchase a rental property, with the monthly rents going directly into the IRA.

A. Rollovers are allowed for TSP participants who are no longer federal employees or who are over age 59½. He’ll need to fill out the appropriate TSP withdrawal request form (TSP-70 for a full withdrawal or TSP-77 for a partial withdrawal) and direct the distribution to the IRA custodian of his choice.

Tags: , , , , ,

Comments are closed.