Ask The Experts: Money Matters

By Mike Miles

Military buyback and 401(k) rollover

Bookmark and Share

Q. My husband has 10 years of Air Force service and is in the process of negotiating to take a federal position. Is it possible to use a 401(k) rollover to buy back his service? I am thinking not, since a rollover is only allowable to an IRA or other “qualified plan.” We certainly can take a direct taxable distribution of a portion of that 401(k) plan and use that money to buy back, but he wondered if it can be done with the rollover.

A. No.

Tags: , , , ,

Comments are closed.